Some press articles that might be of interest
NOISE & HEALTH:
- Wind turbine acoustic pollution assessment requirements, Wind Watch May 11th, 2012.
- Switch off for noisy wind farms, The Telegraph, 19 November, 2011.
- ‘Wind farms poll shows nine in ten reject minister’s backing’, Adrian Pearson, The Journal, 8 October, 2011.
- ‘British jobs Gone with the wind’, Andrew Gilligan, The Telegraph, 17 July, 2011. Crippling new taxes proposed by Chris Huhne to subsidise green energy could force key employers out of business.
- Renewables Won’t Keep the Lights On, Dr John Constable, Renewable Energy Foundation.
- ‘E.ON warns over backup for renewables’, Mark Milner, The Guardian, 4 June 2008.
“E.ON said that it could take 50 gigawatts of renewable electricity generation to meet the EU target. But it would require up to 90% of this amount as backup from coal and gas plants to ensure supply when intermittent renewable supplies were not available.”
- Winds of change.
The government has finally seen through the wind-farm scam – but why did it take them so long?
- Dong gives up on land-based turbines, Copenhagen Post, 1 September, 2010.
“Mass protests mean the energy firm will look offshore.”
- Wind power adds £45bn to cost of climate targets.
Britain could meet its climate change targets in 2020 for £45 billion less if it abandoned wind power in favour of cheaper gas-fired power plants and nuclear reactors, an independent report has found.
- What’s Fuelling Your Energy Bill?, BBC ‘Panorama’, 7 November, 2011.
- ‘Poverty fears over wind power’, Mark Milner, BBC News, 4 September 2008.
“Half a million people could be pushed into fuel poverty by the UK’s drive for wind power, the government’s former chief scientific adviser has said.” (Professor Sir David King has been proved all too right: over 6.6 million households are officially in fuel poverty as of October 2011).
- Wind farm subsidies should be cut by 25% , George Osborne, the Chancellor, The telegraph , 3rd June 2012.
- ‘Wind Farms: Why It’s Time To Alter Course’, The Northumbrian (editorial and updates).
- ‘Wind farm would be another “appalling scar” on landscape’, Berwick Advertiser, 23 November, 2013.
- ‘Offshore photos call Northumberland wind farms into question’, the Journal, 15 August, 2013.
- ‘Duke of Northumberland Backing wind Farm Protestors’, The Journal, 10 November, 2011.
- ‘Storm Blows up over Windfarm Proposals’, Northumberland Gazette, 6 October, 2011.
- ‘Hundreds say no to controversial turbines scheme’, Northumberland Gazette, 6 October, 2011.
- Spoiling Route of St Cuthbert, Letter, Northumberland Gazette, 14 October, 2011.